A moving company arranges for the transportation of goods, utilizes for-hire carriers to provide actual track transportation, helps people move their goods from one place to another, and offers services like loading and unpacking. Chances are, you already know all of this because you may have started your own moving company. But do you know how to manage one?
Managing a moving company is a complex task. It demands attention to detail, careful planning, organization, and effort. Here are some key pointers when it comes to managing your business:
- Recruit and Train Competent Staff
- Cultivate Sustainable Processes
- Invest in Appropriate Equipment
- Prioritize Customer Service
- Execute Efficient Marketing Strategies
- Be Up to Date
You need plans and procedures for managing a moving company. Read on for the details on how to manage a moving company.
Recruit and Train Competent Staff
Employees are the backbone of your company. You need to hire personnel who are appropriate for the job.
Due to the physical nature of the job, your staff must be in good physical strength to meet the demands.
Your employees will be responsible for the care of your client’s items. Employees need to be mindful of taking care of important items. You’ll want a staff that you know you can trust to do the job efficiently but carefully.
Since they will interact with clients, your staff should have good people skills. They should be friendly, courteous, and professional.
Cultivate Sustainable Processes
An established moving workflow and processes for pickups and deliveries will make for smoother, more efficient jobs.
Training all of your staff to know and fully understand these processes is a big part of successfully managing a moving company.
No one likes to be overworked, so make sure you are managing the business’s calendar appropriately by not taking on more jobs than your staff is capable of handling. If managing a calendar is something you struggle with, there are softwares available to make that part of managing your company easier. Supermove has an excellent, user-friendly software for movers like Supermove..
Prioritize Customer Service
Train your staff to prioritize customer service and provide high-quality service.
Handling inquiries of customers must be at the top of your list, as it helps your company’s image. Ensure your team is always polite and respectful to your customers and address any concerns or complaints promptly and professionally.
Managing Business Growth through Marketing
Everyone wants their business to continually grow and succeed. Managing your business growth through marketing is an important part of making sure your business succeeds.
Have a strong online presence. You can create an optimized website that is easy to navigate, informative, and visually appealing and use social media to advertise your business.
Utilizing online advertising, such as Google or Facebook Ads, isn’t the only way to manage your business growth.
- Offer referral discounts and loyalty rewards
- Create valuable content (blog posts, videos, or infographics about helpful tips and advice for moving)
- Partner with other businesses (real estate agents, storage companies, home renovation businesses)
- Attend local events (trade shows, fairs, or community events)
Be competitive in the evolving moving industry, and keep your moving company up to date by:
- Using technology to streamline your operations
- Train your employees on the latest techniques, equipment, and safety procedures
- Monitor customer feedback to identify areas for improvement and improve your company image
- Update equipment as needed
- Offer new services (packing, storage, cleaning) to bring more value to clients
- Implement eco-friendly and sustainability practices (recycled packaging or electric moving vehicles)
- Follow laws and regulations related to your service and moving industry.
Successfully Manage Your Moving Company
A successful moving company is more than a fleet of vans and trucks. One of the best ways to make managing your moving company easier is by using software built specifically for moving companies. Management incorporates all aspects of your company, from recruitment and training to having sustainable processes and prioritizing customer service.
Utilizing the tips provided in this article will put your business on the right path to becoming one of the top rated moving companies.