New Articles
  January 11th, 2016 | Written by

CMA CGM BENJAMIN FRANKLIN Departed Oakland After Completing Maiden Calls to U.S. Ports

[shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="13106399"]


  • After calling Los Angeles in late December, CMA CGM BENJAMIN FRANKLIN berthed in the Port of Oakland.
  • Special measures were deployed to make of CMA CGM BENJAMIN FRANKLIN in Oakland a success.
  • The CMA CGM BENJAMIN FRANKLIN will return to U.S. ports in mid-February.

The CMA CGM BENJAMIN FRANKLIN successfully completed its maiden calls to the U.S. by berthing in the Port of Oakland on December 31, 2015. She was the largest vessel ever to call this port, or any other port in the U.S.

She called the port of Los Angeles in late December before departing for Oakland.

Receiving an 18,000-TEU capacity vessel for the first time required meticulous preparation to guarantee a flawless call and fluid operations in as little time as possible. For several weeks, the CMA CGM Group has been working with all parties—the Port of Oakland and NWS Seaport Alliance, the San Francisco Bar Pilots, Ports America Outer Harbor, railroads, trucking companies and many others—in the maritime supply chain.

As a part of the preparation, CMA CGM, the Port of Oakland and the San Francisco Bar Pilots (SFBP) executed vessel simulations at the California Maritime Academy. Seven San Francisco Harbor pilots ran two different simulations in presence of a CMA CGM senior captain, one to handle mooring such a vessel and the second focused on sailing.

“We are happy to be making this second call at a U.S. port”, said Marc Bourdon, President of CMA CGM (America) LLC, a subsidiary of CMA CGM. “The CMA CGM BENJAMIN FRANKLIN’s call at the port of Oakland was made possible thanks to a tight collaboration with all stakeholders at the port. By welcoming the largest container ship ever to call at U.S. ports, authorities have demonstrated their willingness to be part of an ever growing shipping industry.”

The CMA CGM BENJAMIN FRANKLIN left for Chinese ports January 4, and come back to the U.S. in mid-February. She sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge at approximately 4 PM Pacific Standard Time.